A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Whole 30

Yesterday we started the Whole 30 Program. For 30 days we will cut out all processed foods. The plan is simple:
Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. 
We're hoping to kick start our metabolism and curb our (sugar/carb/dairy) cravings. I am convinced that Dan has food allergies and this plan should help us see if he does. I'm just trying to figure out why I feel like crap 90% of the time.

So, I was asked to share some recipes. It's very basic food. Cook meat, add veggies, snack on fruit. I dont have recipes yet but I do have some tips and ideas:

1. Trader Joe's Cruciferous Crunch is a MUST-HAVE. It's kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli and cabbage chopped up into little pieces. We like to toss it in a pan with some olive oil and add an egg or two. Top with hot sauce and black pepper.
2. Costco has organic, grass-fed ground beef that is delicious and affordable. Buy some.
3. Lobster is one of my favorite foods that I dont get to eat very often. It's really easy to cook and more affordable than you might think. Costco sold us two tails for $20. (I bought one in Seattle a few years ago for $30 so I felt like it was a good deal.)
4. Snack on apples to curb sugar cravings.
5. Have an emergency food stash. Speaking of apples, I dont particularly like apples but it's nice to have them around for an easy and portable snack. We also have a jar of cashews to snack on.
6. Make extra. We're only two days in and I feel like I'm doing a lot of cooking, prepping and cleaning. Making an extra chicken breast, for example, and saving it for tomorrow's salad is a good idea.

I like that Whole 30 has me reading labels and finding out what's really in my food. (Like...Surprise, Siracha's second ingredient is sugar! Now you know.)  We look forward to sharing our success with you! Cheers to good health!

See more at: whole30.com!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...