A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Friday, November 21, 2014

The Secret to Success




The secret to success is that you have to work your butt off & never lose sight of your goal. 

We've been here in Nashville for 9 months and it hasn't been easy, financially. There were times when I couldn't afford a babysitter and we ate a lot of macaroni and cheese. There were times when I stayed home because I couldn't afford to put gas in the car. There were so many times that I wanted to "give up" and go get a full-time job. I chastised myself for it. I wondered and marveled at how much money I could make if I found a marketing job. I'd have to buy some business-casuals and find a 6a-6p daycare and probably commute for an hour even though we only live 5 miles from downtown. But, that was a different kind of sacrifice that I didn't want to make unless I absolutely had to. Our bills were getting paid and I was getting really creative with the little spending money we had so I figured we
could keep it up. I really wanted to make photography work and I truly believed that God would/will sustain us. Luke 12:24 says, "Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!". We always had our "daily bread". We have peace and joy and good friends. More money does not equate to more joy. 

I have the most supportive husband. He never let me give up. So, during Liam's nap times, I emailed wedding venues and I searched Craigslist for photography gigs. I went to networking events and I gave away photo shoots on instagram and Facebook

I booked two weddings this week and I'm working on a third. Last month I got to photograph a supermodel, a venue, and four family portrait sessions. I can't tell you the excitement and relief to be able to contribute to our family income. I love that I get to spend so much time with Liam and Dan. I'm still planning weddings, too, so basically I'm working really hard one day a week from April to June and September to November (that's the wedding season here). Living the dream, as they say. 

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great." - Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...