A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Daycare

I'm slightly embarrassed to announce that we are putting BB in daycare on the days when Dan is on tour.  Why am I embarrassed?  Because I work from home.  I could "make it work" but, honestly, I've tried and I've been making too many mistakes lately.  I made a $17,000 mistake last week by forgetting to add something to a client's budget.  The budget and client are fine and there's no real mistake at my job that would ruin anyone's life so it's not a big deal.  But, I need to focus.

We don't have family in town.  Both of my parents are still working and Dan's family is 2,000 miles away so, my choices are:  Ignore BB all day and do a good job, be a good mom but let my job suffer, or put him in daycare.  Obviously, daycare wins.  We found a great, little place that's close to home with a nice, older woman named "Nana".  She is licensed for 9 kids (as opposed to the usual 12) and right now only has 4 during the day and 2 more that are in elementary school who show up after nap time.  We've gone twice to see how he likes it and let him play with the other kids and he seemed just fine.  He loves other kids and he's still a little behind developmentally so we know he'll do well there.  He will only be in daycare when Dan is on the road and on days when he doesn't have any appointments, which will equate to about 10 days out of the month.


Playing with a box - cuz that's fun, right?


























I still haven't decided how long I want to leave him there.  Since the daycare is so close to my home office, I could drop him off and pick him up almost any hour of the day.  I'm thinking 9am - 4pm but we'll see... They eat at 11:00 and nap from noon to 3 so it's not like I'll be missing out on anything too fun, right?  At least that's what I'm telling myself...

I love the posts about childcare on Liberating Working Moms.  This site has been a huge help to me in figuring out how to make this working mom thing work!  Hey, readers!  Yes, I'm talking to you.  Did you ever put your kids in daycare?  What was it like for you?  How was the transition for your kid(s)?

Anything can be a toy if you set your mind to it....box...towel...


10 comments:

  1. I think it is an awesome choice for your situation! I think being around other kids is amazing for development. My second child's vocabularly is light years ahead of where his brother's was and I credit it completely to being around his brother and the older kid we watch a few times a week. I wouldn't look at it as "daycare" but as more of a school or playdate type situation because he is going to THRIVE with the new surroundings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate your encouragement!

      Delete
  2. I think it's a great idea! I work from home as well, and I don't know what I did before Avery started preschool. Some days I can't concentrate at all when she is home...you'll get so much more done, and feel so much better at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sometimes I feel like when Dan is out of town his life is really boring so with daycare and a more focused mama, he will get the stimulation he needs and his time with me will be quality time!

      Delete
  3. wish i had advice...all i know is that 10 days a month sounds totally doable and I think BB will love the interaction with other kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I think kids kind of need a group child-friendly setting. To help socialize them to other kids, and other adults.
    My older kid was in Daycare from age 14 months 'til he started Kindergarten. My girl from age 3 months to 3 years. They loved their daycare and she became a second grandmother for us. She, and her kids became like family. And the kids thrived with her.

    Incidentaly, is "Nana" on N 8th just off of Stevens? Sounds quite a bit like our daycare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would encourage you to add a little time to get in a run! Especially when Dan is gone, those times of exercise really help you decompress and be ready to give your all to your baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Anna! I've been going to Spin at 6am but I cant do that when Dan is gone. Daycare time will become running time for me!

      Delete
  6. Nannies are fun too ;) haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it sounds like a perfect fit for your family. BB will love it, and you will love the ability to get some stuff done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...