A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Friday, December 30, 2011

Reflection

I have been struggling with aging for a few years now.  The summer in which I was 25, turning 26, was super fun.  I spent that summer skateboarding, river floating, high-fiving, and kickin ass.  Then, things got really stressful and I didn't want to be a grown up.  So, I started doing some really wild things.  I joined a punk-rock band and pretty much stopped being an adult.  Then, turning 27 was the worst day of my life.  Okay, the actual DAY was fun.  Here are some photos so you can see just how fun it was.  But, I  hated the idea of being 27.

Now I'm 28.  I have wrinkles.  I don't have the energy for the 2-hours-a-day-everyday workouts that I did in college.  I'm getting kind-of fat and my body aches more often than I think it should.  However, every cloud has silver lining.  For starters, I am more confident than I have ever been in my life!  I'm becoming a mother to a child who really needs a good mom.  Suddenly, the things that mattered before... just... don't.  I'd rather save up to buy this kid a high chair than buy myself a new pair of boots.  I want to be the best person I can be for this little one.  I look forward to becoming more wise and more confident in who I am, flaws and all.  [And I look forward to not referring to my flaws as "flaws"!]  So, I think I'm okay with aging.  At least, for today.  Bring it on, 2012.


A totally unedited photo of myself.

A huge part of moving forward is looking back.  Reflecting on the past year will help me appreciate where I was and where I am now.  Most importantly, who I am.  2010 was the worst year EVER.  2011, just as I'd hoped, ended up being a great year of healing and happiness.  Here are some of my favorite moments, month by month.

  • JANUARY
My mom came to visit and I also had a fun night at a new coffee shop in town with some really great friends.

  •  FEBRUARY
I got into hot yoga and taking pictures of street art.  It was the first month that we hadn't gone back to France since we lived there so I remember being sad about that.  I also got into a pretty bad snowboarding accident which ended my snowboarding season early.

  •  MARCH
My darling husband rang in his 30th birthday!  And, I went wine tasting with my best friend, Sara, in Oregon!

  •  APRIL
Wewent out to Sequim, WA for Easter Weekend and we had a blast!

  •  MAY
May is always a strange month here in Washington.  You're anticipating summer but it's usually cloudy.  I spent May hiking and going on adventures.

  •  JUNE
Dan travels a lot in the summer because his band plays a lot of festivals.  This June we had enough sunny weather for me to get on the longboard a bunch of times.  I also helped my friend, Ben, plan GO SKATE TACOMA on June 21st, International Go Skateboarding Day.

  •  JULY
In July, I said goodbye to my best friend here in Tacoma.  We moved her halfway across the country.  The trip was horrible and fun at the same time.  Then, we stayed in the midwest and celebrated 4th of July in Chicago with Dan's side of the family.

  •  AUGUST
Dan played a huge festival and I was so proud of him!  I turned 28 and we celebrated our 8 year anniversary!

  •  SEPTEMBER
We took a little vacation to Kelowna, BC and learned to golf.

  •  OCTOBER
I flew to Arizona to celebrate Brit's Golden Birthday!  I got a tattoo and climbed a mountain.  When I got back, we moved into our new place!  Good month.

  •  NOVEMBER
We had our home study which was the last step in becoming registered parents!  The baby's room is ready. We also had an eventful Thanksgiving and hung out at the Washington/Oregon coast.

  •  DECEMBER
Dan has been home a lot this month.  Our community found out about two local families that were really struggling this Christmas so we got together and spent $1000 on them!  We chose presents for their kids and got them Visa gift cards to help pay their bills.  It was amazing.  I  had an eventful Christmas and hoping to have a fun New Years Eve.

Goodbye, 2011.  You were decent.  Happy New Year to all!  Bring it on, 2012!
also.... BIG BLOG ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. first, I LOVE YOUR HEADER!!! How did you do that? Can you help me with mine??? Second, you're beautiful, third, it was great spending many days of 2011 with you...so glad we're neighbors. 4th, 2012 is gonna be the shiznet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you tease us with the "Big blog announcement" to come! 2012 is going to be a great year! You and Dan are going to be amazing parents and I'm happy that Jack will have a new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies!!!! Ruthy - yes, I can make you blog header! Jill - it's not as big of an announcement as last time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! (I agree with Ruthy! Your header is so rad!)
    And your picture is so beautiful! You're totally rockin' the whole "aging" thing! :)

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first part of the of this post was depressing.
    Benefits of getting older and having a kid though is you don't have to put on make-up and you can officially can wear mom jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...you're a good blogger. I will now also be "looking forward to no longer calling my flaws 'flaws'". Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love you linz - love seeing your year in review! can't wait for the amazing journey 2012 is going to take you on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great year! I'm aching a little more than usual at 29...I tried to do 30 days of hot yoga but I only made it to 14 before my arm went numb ;) That has never happened before.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...