A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Old Things

I like old things.  I would much rather live among antiques and cracked plaster walls than in the pages of a catalogue.  I like things which have stood the test of time and which tell a story, even an unknown story, about its origins or what it was like before now.  I wonder about the people who lived in my home before me - what struggles did they deal with and if they're really any different than me.  

This home is so old, it's been through two [or three] economic disasters, two world wars, many deployments of American soldiers to fight on foreign lands, two presidential assasinations, and countless other historically significant events.  More finite than these paramount events are births and deaths, marriages and divorces.  For a house that is 120 years old there could have been 50 or 60 or even 100 families that have moved in an out of this home.

[And all these thoughts stemmed from the fact that my bathroom is really old.] Salle de Bain door sign and Brosse a Dent toothbrush holder  from Castorama in France.  I love our bathroom because it's so vintage.  The tile is original, the tub is from the 1940s.  The old window, with the weighted pulley system to keep it up, still works.  






I have been experimenting with photos a lot lately.  Tilt shift and color leaks and fading out this color or that. I am so thankful for this blog because it gives me a reason and an outlet for trying new things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...