A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Road Widow

A few months ago I wrote a blog about being a resource for musician's wives.  I am definitely not an expert on the subject.  My husband has been touring with his band for only two years.  I think that if someone like Steven Tyler had a steady, faithful wife all those years of touring with Aerosmith I'd much rather read what SHE has to say about being the wife of a musician.  But, surprisingly (or maybe, not so surprisingly) not many of those big rockstars seem to have lasting relationships.  I can think of one.....Sharon Osbourne.  Has she written a book?  I think she toured with Ozzy and most wives dont do that so I dont want to read her book... if she has one.... I digress....

I found a resource!  Hallelujah!  It is called Road Widows.
  • Road Widow (n.) A person whose spouse or significant other is a touring musician, crew member or artist. Sometimes irrational and emotional, but always supportive.

I would like to add another type of "Road Widow" to the list:  Railroader's Wives.  I've known my friend, Amanda, since high school.  She married her husband, a railroader,  less than 2 years ago in Las Vegas.  Sometimes I'll complain about my husband being gone and Amanda always keeps me in check.  Working for the railroad is so much more complicated than Dan's touring schedule.  They'll bring him out to Pasco, WA for a job and she wont know when he's coming back.  He's gone for 2 - 3 days, home for a couple days, back and forth, back and forth.  She often doesn't know if he'll be in town for a wedding or a holiday. She is true road widow!  And a strong one, at that.

© LMR Photography: Amanda and hubby at their wedding, April 2010, Las Vegas

For all you ladies out there who have traveling hubbies - get on the Road Widow blog, read my blog, email me, call me.  It's tough but it's our reality.  YOU CAN DO IT!


1 comment:

  1. We have only been married one year, April 16, 2010. And I wish he was home a couple of days. Today he was only home for 12 hours after being gone 2 days and I will get to see him again on Sunday.

    Lindsy you are just a brave as I am. I wish you lived closer so we could hang out together while we are "single", both soon to be "single parenting".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...