A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Monday, November 21, 2011

Honesty

My first post is up over at Road Widows today! Here is an excerpt....

Dan and I have reached a turning point in our tour-coping-skills. He wasn’t telling me when he missed me or when the road got tough and he was lonely.   He thought he was doing me a favor by “being strong” and protecting me from any negativity.  It took me almost two years to figure this out. He’s hurting just as much as I am and it’s not helping either of us that he wont express it.  Hearing him say, “I miss you so much” makes my heart happy.  It’s actually a relief to know that he’s not out having the time of his life.  I know that he loves his job.  He is the happiest he’s ever been, but it’s still work.  He’s driving lots of miles, occasionally sleeping in the van or at strangers homes or lonely hotel rooms, and he misses me.  I feel it now.  I can recognize it by his contentment when he’s home.  I catch him watching me from across the room, telling me how much he missed me while he was gone, hugging, kissing, cuddling, taking me out on fabulous dates – I know I am loved and missed.
Honest communication is the foundation of making your relationship work. If he’s on the road and you’re not telling each other how you really feel, you’re going to fall apart.  It was a huge turning point for us when Dan finally admitted that he misses me, too.  Before that, I thought that he truly was happier out on the road and that idea - no matter how true or false it may be for you – is crushing to any woman’s spirit.
I’m sure your husband misses you just as much as you miss him.  Go ahead, ask him!

Full post: HERE.

1 comment:

  1. That's sweet. Sometimes I have to drag the emotion out of my Husband. He's like "you know I love you"...nope I need to hear it all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...