A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Patience is a Virtue: Baby's Room

The Rockstar and I will become parents for the first time ever.  We will have a child living with us in two months or a million months.  I have no idea how long it will take.  No one knows!  While I'm eager to meet the little tyke, I'm also not ready.  So, that helps with my complete lack of patience.  One thing I know I need to do is get the room ready.  Right now the room isn't a room.  We live in a loft so, it's an open nook with a guest bed and a loveseat in it.  It's going to be a lot of work!

I already have the crib that converts to a toddler bed, a changing table, and a potty seat.  That's all that's required of us.  It could be very short notice once a child is "available"... like, days.  And I have NOTHING.  No diapers, no toys, no clothing, no food.  I have no idea how old the child will be or gender or size.  So, that part is all out of my control.  (Friends with kids:  Please save your old baby stuff and be prepared to dig it out in a days notice!  OKTHANKS!)  


The part that I can control:  decorating the nursery and getting it ready!!! While this may seem creepy (my husband thinks it is) I have spent hours on Pinterest and NurseryNotations.com and Etsy and all the baby sites you can think of.  I've got a ton of vintage prints for the wall.  I have two crib sheets:  gray and sage green.  Yesterday I got a rug, some fabric for throw pillows and curtains, some upholstery fabric to reupholster our old rocker.

So, maybe I'm crazy but I need to do SOMETHING to feel like I'm preparing my life for the major change I'm about to experience.  Here's what I've put together as a design concept for the room.



I'm trying to keep it gender neutral without doing something that everyone else is doing.  I want it to be unique and reflect who Dan and I are and what we want our family to be like.  We're keeping the industrial feel of the loft and using as many antique things as we can.  I love the bookshelves made from old crates on Blue Bird Vintage.  The Singin' in the Rain poster is one we already have and while I hate the color blue, the mason jar lights are in blue so it all ties in.  So, there it is!  What do you think? 
And please tell me I'm not crazy.

via Bleubird
Prints I've purchased/made.

7 comments:

  1. I have lots of baby-toddler clothes, please email or DM me on twitter with what you need. I'm a SAHM and can have it for you very quickly. I live near Blue Beard coffee shop & it'll be easy to pass it along I suspect.
    I wish you luck on this venture - it's very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so awesome linz! We are very happy to ship you our ikea crib across the country if you end up needing one! who thought ikea furniture would be an heirloom? Getting so excited with you and for you! LOVE the concept. I think i want MY room to look like that now. complete with the exposed brick walls. think ben will go for it???
    in an unrelated note - on your linkwithin its a pic of you and dan and your save the date card - umm EWWW on his hair!!! I cannot believe you didn't make him shave his head. And i love the fabric he picked out. it probably appeals to his ADD side...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's not Dan that's Nate -- from The Geeks! LOL! Dan is growing his hair out, though. WATCH OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love it! Although the material reminds me of curtains from the Whitehouse but that is just me.(You wanted us to tell you what we think) Anyway, it all is wonderful and you will be great parents. I think you are very patient you married Dan!! It will be all good soon. We are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fabric, and last time I was at Target all of their fans were on clearance, including that one. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will be awesome parents and have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, your babe's room is turning out super cute. i love the book shelves and i'm totally impressed by your reupholstering job. you are amazing! and, beautiful. have you told dan that lately?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...