A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Organs. Ew.

Photo of the Day. 03/22/11. Dr. Patti's Magical Liver Formula.
I've been feeling sick. A plethora of issues but the main one being that I'm depressed and tired and, despite training for the Mt. Si Relay and doing 90 minute power yoga classes 2x a week, I've gained weight. So, I called a Naturopath. I figured I would start natural and if the remedies weren't working I'd try a "regular" doctor and get on some stupid medicine that would likely be crazy expensive and have a million nasty side effects. Let's be clear: I'm not a hippy freak, I just believe that natural remedies are best and that prescription meds are a last resort.

So, when I called to make the appointment I told her I was concerned about my thyroid. She asked if I'd had any blood work done recently and I haven't and she said it didn't matter anyway because most of the time hypothyroidism isn't detected in a blood test even though the person may have thyroid issues. She does a hair test. I didnt think it sounded weird but it turns out she cut three chunks of my hair out and I had to mail them into some testing lab in the midwest. Sorta weird but if it tells us why I'm feeling sick then so be it. The information guide says that toxic elements are 200 - 300 times more highly concentrated in hair than in blood or urine. So, the results get here later this week, nothing else to report on the awkward hair test.

The OTHER things we did were CRAY-ZEEEE!

I feel like I have dangerously low blood sugar. My dad has diabetes and he used to test his blood sugar levels with a little drop of blood in a machine. Whenever I did that my levels were at about 40. Once, after we all ate a big meal of Italian food (mostly pasta), the whole family checked their blood sugar - JUST FOR FUN! YAY! Everyone's was close to or over 200... mine was 67. When I told the Naturopath that she was very concerned so she had me lay down and she felt my organs. She found out that I have air in my intestines. Ew. Then she pushed on my liver. Not good. She thinks that it's probably not processing sugar the way it should. She taught me how to feel it for myself and I'm keeping a diary of what I eat and how my liver feels afterward. I am disgusted by organs so it's not fun to keep pushing on my liver all day but I have felt a few changes.

So, this doctor who, several days ago, told me that blood tests aren't always accurate is sending me to get my blood tested. Tonight I have to fast for 12 hours and do a glucose and thyroid test at 8am. FUN!

My next appointment is April 5th but I might move it up to the end of next week. Overall, I'm feeling good. I'm not worried and I am very hopeful that this is a start to a healthier, happier me! I will definitely be posting updates as I find out.

1 comment:

  1. ohhh...sounds fascinating...i'm very interested to hear the results! i love natropathic medicine!

    On another note...I'm sorry to hear you're feeling down in the dumps...need an ear?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...