A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Change Your World


"You dont know what you've got til it's gone" is one of the saddest and truest statements. We lived in Tacoma for a cumulative of 8 years together. For many years it was a struggle. We didn't always have great friends and a huge part of that was that we didn't try. I didnt know myself when we first got to Tacoma, a young newlywed in a new city. I didn't know that I needed social interaction to feel normal. I worked long hours to avoid being lonely. It took years to get what we had and what we had was amazing. Some of the best friends in the world, many of them within walking distance from our most recent home, are in Washington.

I need a lot of social interaction. In the midst of the onslaught of introvert pride circling around the internets lately, I feel the need to explain that it's not easy being an extrovert, either. I do not need "me time" to feel rejuvenated. Rather, too much time alone makes me anxious, stir-crazy, depressed. Before we moved to Nashville I always had people I could call to hang out with. I am happy that I have that here now, too, although 95% of our friends here are touring musicians and their spouses so scheduling gets a whole lot trickier. I need to [almost daily] remind myself that -
  1. We've only been here 3 months. 
  2. Dan has been in Nashville less than 20 days in those 3 months. 
  3. It takes a long time to build friendships.
  4. It takes even longer to find friends that are comfortable coming to your house at 9pm on a Tuesday just to chat for 30 minutes.
Giving myself grace is one of the hardest parts of all of this. I keep thinking I "should be" doing this or that and it's time to refocus. "Change your thoughts and you change your world." -Norman Vincent Peale.  I sure hope you're right, Norman. A social life is very important to me but I also want to change my thoughts and make my days with Liam count. He's only 2 for a little while longer and he's growing up so fast! Leave the dishes for tomorrow. Get on the floor and play Legos more often. Invite people over. 

Time to make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...