Right after I turned 30 (so, 2 weeks ago) I adapted a paleo lifestyle and have been feeling great! How could I not? Protein, fruits, veggies, nuts, ALMOND BUTTER: all day long. I also joined a crossfit gym in downtown, Jowers Training Systems, and it is a great workout! I have been wanting to do something like this for a really long time and our trip to the Mediterranean was just the motivation I needed. (And, somehow, a pool party wasn't?)
So, after nearly 2 weeks without sweets or bread, I decided I needed to dive into the whole paleo-baking world. I made a paleo coffee cake adapted from a paleOMG recipe. I still haven't gotten any coconut oil (a paleo must-have!) so I used real butter which JB from paleOMG says is okay and if she says it's okay then it must be - because she has a website. So, take a look at the recipe. First of all I was like, "8 eggs?! This is just going to be like a sweet fritata with nuts on top! DISGUSTING." But, no. It was perfection.
- 1/2 c. agave syrup
- 1/2 c. melted butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut milk
- 8 large eggs (organic, cage-free, local, and/or fresh)
- 3/4 c. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. raw sugar
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat the over to 350° and lightly grease a 9" square pan.
- Beat ingredients 1 - 4 together in a mixing bowl.
- Beat in the coconut flour and baking powder until batter is smooth. (It will be runny) Pour it in the greased pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix ingredients 7 - 11 and set aside. Now, if you're following the paleOMG directions you would put your topping right
ontointo that batter. Honestly I dont know what kind of miracle topping could float on top of this runny batter. It just couldn't.
- My version says to bake the batter for about 20 minutes before putting the topping on. And dont just dump it on in clumps, like I did. It takes finesse, people!
- Total baking time should be about 30 - 35 minutes. Let it sit for 30 minutes before you scarf. Enjoy!
Keep it in the fridge; it stays moist for days! And.....Please use more finesse than that when applying your nut topping, ok? I mean, really?! Happy baking. Happy Labor Day. Is summer really over? That makes me sad.