[They are] some of the most brilliant, intelligent, kind and interesting people you have ever met. They saw their parents lose themselves for the gospel. They saw freedom sprout out of chaos. They saw women freed from sex-trafficking. I doubt if they're going to wish that they had a pool and fatty trust fund! If [this couple] can take three small children to Calcutta, then maybe we can make time for the homeless in Tacoma?
Don't worry, we're not moving to Calcutta. But, I do want to instill some values in our child or children that are maybe a little different. And I want to live a life where my child sees me doing the things I talk about doing. All in all, I would like to raise responsible, caring humans. I want to be more intentional with my time. I want to be able to see beyond the nose on my face, to make time for relationships and for solitude. I want our child or children...
- to appreciate the little things
- to say "please" and "thank-you"
- to have meaningful conversations
- to give and expect nothing in return
- to love without holding back
- to work for the things that you want
- to know that sometimes it's okay to not have things
- to look at every person and see a human being not so different than themselves
- to know that stuff is just stuff
- to value people and experiences more than earthly possessions