A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Responsible, Caring Humans

A guy named Caleb spoke at our church a few weeks ago and the words are still resonating with me. I can't get it out of my head.  Caleb told a story about a well-to-do family that left a cushy life to serve the poor in Calcutta, India. If you don't know anything about Calcutta it's where Mother Theresa served and is considered one of the most depraved and poverty-stricken areas of the world. I am certain they were met with opposition when they announced that they were taking their three small children to this place. Caleb got to meet this family ten years later and describes these kids, now 15, 13 and 12 years old:
[They are] some of the most brilliant, intelligent, kind and interesting people you have ever met. They saw their parents lose themselves for the gospel. They saw freedom sprout out of chaos. They saw women freed from sex-trafficking. I doubt if they're going to wish that they had a pool and fatty trust fund! If [this couple] can take three small children to Calcutta, then maybe we can make time for the homeless in Tacoma?
Don't worry, we're not moving to Calcutta.  But, I do want to instill some values in our child or children that are maybe a little different. And I want to live a life where my child sees me doing the things I talk about doing. All in all, I would like to raise responsible, caring humans. I want to be more intentional with my time. I want to be able to see beyond the nose on my face, to make time for relationships and for solitude. I want our child or children...
  • to appreciate the little things
  • to say "please" and "thank-you" 
  • to have meaningful conversations
  • to give and expect nothing in return
  • to love without holding back
  • to work for the things that you want
  • to know that sometimes it's okay to not have things
  • to look at every person and see a human being not so different than themselves
  • to know that stuff is just stuff
  • to value people and experiences more than earthly possessions
What have I left out? Surely there's more. What values do you want to instill in your kids?










1 comment:

  1. Great post! I wish every parent(and person) thought like that!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...