A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Working from Home

Inspired by the gorgeous and talented Casey Wiegand, I am writing today about working from home.  I really love my job!  I am not only a photographer and crafter artist, I gotta pay the bills.  The Rock Star doesnt really make that much money so I am hard at work from 9 - 5 in my little cubicle doing some advertising and marketing research, booking radio and TV and print ads, and mostly a lot of emailing.

Since Dan quit his regular full time job as a youth director two years ago to pursue his dreams of playing music things have changed.  He's on the road about 10- 14 days a month and when he's home he's just HOME.  On his laptop, booking shows or checking out new bands or... I dont know... probably looking at Facebook.  This means we're usually in the same room, not talking, clicking away on the keyboards and listening to music like: Jimmy Eat World, Brand New, Needtobreathe, Rufus Wainwright, Sufjan Stevens, MGMT, etc.

As you may know, we have a baby on the way!  I am hoping that within the next couple months the band can find someone to do their booking so that Dan can be full time dad during the days when he's home.  When he's on the road, I am not sure what to do yet.  Will I have to get a nanny or find a daycare?  I dont know how this works!  Can you have a baby/toddler and work?  I feel like I would get arrested for neglect.

What do you think?  Is it possible?



Surfing the inter-webs.

Writing song lyrics.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. it's definitely possible! i work from home running my etsy shop, and while it doesn't equal 40 hours per week, it's definitely at least 20+ most of the time. babies sleep a LOT and i had no trouble doing tons of work when poppy was a baby, without ever working while she was awake. as she's gotten older & is awake for a lot more hours in the daytime, i've had to get better about asking david or my parents for little blocks of help watching p (like 1-2 hours here and there) so that i can keep on top of orders. i think the biggest factor will just be you guys working together, dividing up work in a calm way so that everything gets done. also staying REALLY motivated about always doing something when you have a free minute - as tempting as it is to just sit and relax a while your kid takes a 2-hour nap, it's not really practical for a work-at-home parent to do. that is, unless you think it will be *fun* to stay up until 2am that night finishing the work you didn't do while jr. napped. haha! (;

    you guys will rock this. seriously. working from home is incredibly rewarding and i wouldn't trade it for ANYTHING. sometimes it's stressful because the responsibility is 100% on you to bring in your own money - no one is sending you a paycheck every 2 weeks so you CAN'T be lazy. (i was honestly WAY more lazy when i had a regular, full-time job!) but the extra time you'll have with your child is priceless. xoxoxo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the newest evolution of your aesthetic (blog and photos). So pretty and cool, can't believe I know a talented photographer and a rock star! I will miss you guys this Christmas for sure and will be praying for a good work strategy for you and Dan when the baby comes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...