A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving Thanks

I feel somewhat obligated to write a Thanksgiving post. Not for any of you readers, but for myself.

I have never liked the Thanksgiving holiday for the following reasons....
1)  It's icky.  I eat too much, I feel sick, there's football on TV, mom/grandma/insert-name-of-whoever-is-hosting gets SUPER stressed out.
2)  It's in the way of Christmas.  I LOVE CHRISTMAS and I have some strongly opinionated people in my life who think that Christmas cant start until the Thanksgiving meal is over.  [Side note: I've been listening to Christmas music for at least two weeks and I have a Christmas wreath on my front door already.  I do what I want!]
3)  I'm already thankful.  I am truly thankful for everything good and bad in my life.  As soon as the thankfulness of Thanksgiving wears off, usually about the same time the triptophan-Turkey-coma wears off, that's when the greed of Christmas begins.  Black Friday ads, Christmas lists, wants, desires, green-little-monsters - they all come out .  It's disgusting.  I'd rather skip the thankful part and ease into the season of Christmas with joy and grace and happiness.  Well, it doesn't work that way.

Okay, that's all a little over-dramatic.  I don't totally hate Thanksgiving.  I do realize that there are times to set aside and truly be mindful of all that you have to be thankful for.  Count your blessings, as they say.  So, here is a photo-list of things I am thankful for today.

I am so thankful for my husband.  He is my best friend and a source of joy in my crazy life!  

I am thankful for our new house.  I really love it so much!

I am thankful for my community. 

I am thankful for my family: biological, in-lawed, and adopted.

I am thankful that Dan and I are starting a family next year!

I am also thankful for this blog!  I really love to write and record memories.  Do any of you love Thanksgiving?  Am I being totally unreasonable?  

2 comments:

  1. No offense but I like Canadian Thanksgiving more than American Thanksgiving. It's much earlier in the year so you can get ready for Christmas anytime in November you so choose. It's also not immediately followed by major sales and shopping extravaganzas. I know a few crazy Canadians who make special trips down south to get in on the deals, but it would certainly put a consumerist spin on a holiday that began because people with little were thankful for freedom of religion. I agree with you, we should have thankful hearts all year round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Audrey! And I agree, the timing of Canadian Thanksgiving is good. But, isnt it on a Monday? I like that ours is Thursday. 4-day-weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...