A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Go Skate Tacoma

 Go Skate Tacoma! 
It Happened... and it was AMAZING.

I was woken up early in the morning by Ben and Sam (who had started setting up at 5am) because they needed my drill and hammer to fix some things on the skate ramps.  Since I live close by, I was down there pretty quickly to help.  

It was so sunny!  The nicest day we've had since last summer, I'm sure!  Everyone had great attitudes. We gave away a ton of stuff!  It was awesome.  Everyone was asking if we could do it again next year.  Ben was so tired yesterday that he said he didnt want to do it again but it was such a success that I think we can convince him.  
My buddy Sam poses (somewhat unwillingly) in front of my chalk art.

The best part of this event is the support we got from the City.  Councilman Marty Campbell spoke on behalf of the City and Mayor Strickland saying (twice) that "Skateboarding is not a crime!".  He was thrilled to see so many people enjoying Tollefson Plaza and enjoying the sport and transportation of skateboarding.  Many cities consider skateboarders and skateboarding a nuisance.  We force these kids into the fringes of society by telling them they cant partake in their favorite hobby in public places.  I'm not completely naive; I know that some skateboarders damage property and have a complete disregard for anyone but themselves.  But, that's just people.  Some people are stupid... but most are not.

Perhaps if we start treating skateboarders like a part of society they won't feel the need to be idiots.  My case in point would be "The Garages" on Broadway.  Tacoma gave graffiti artists a designated place to do graffiti and it seems as though vandalism has gone down.  Now that skating is legalized in Tacoma I think it will do two things:  1) Help marginalized kids feel like a part of a community, 2)  Let the other members of this city see that skateboarding, and its participants, are not all bad.  I am so happy to live in a city that's so forward-thinking and not afraid to try things like that.  Go Tacoma!



This is the man who made it all possible!  My pal, Ben!

Giving out free gifts, like these helmets from Daddy-O's, was the best part!

Our peace-keeping advocate and advisor, Bob.

There were approximately 1,500 people in Tollefson Plaza throughout the day.


Free Skate.
Dan snuck this picture of me in my RAD go skate tacoma shirt.

The judges for the 17 and under competition.

Judges on the 18+ Best Trick Competition.

I thought this was the cutest thing EVER!
The first band:  Si Si Si, from Tacoma

One of Tacoma's best party bands, The Wheelies, rocked out around 9pm to end the event.
Tom, Rusty, "Map", and Joe of Wheelies!

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, Lindsy! It was really fun to be able to attend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...