A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Sunday, November 29, 2020

Thanksgiving 2020











I haven't blogged in a long, long time. I have been spending my life on instagram, I guess. It feels appropriate to give you a life update but I will spare you the mellow-drama of 2020. It's been hard. It's been good. It's been for growing and stretching and figuring out what is important. We have learned so much about ourselves and our deepest, darkest fears and needs. We have cried. We have moved. We have gone on hundreds of walks and played numerous board games. But, one thing we haven't done enough is express our gratitude. 

To be honest, I haven't given thanks much at all this year. I'm grateful for my family and my new home and, begrudgingly, my job. But it's become the norm to focus on all that we've lost in 2020. Lost time with friends, weddings getting pushed back, vacations canceled, plans changed. I've consoled my children over canceled play dates. I've sat in quiet rooms, daydreaming about parties. I've scheduled too few FaceTime hang outs. 

We've spent many Thanksgivings at my in-laws and my mother-in-law always does such a great job of feeding us and dressing up her dinner table so beautifully. Due to the virus, we stayed home and I cooked up a feast of roasted asparagus and carrots with parsley, dressing, mashed golden potatoes, a 20 lb turkey and homemade gravy. Apple pie bars with pumpkin pie and freshly whipped cream. It was memorable and sweet and made all the sweeter with our guests, my brother and his wife who moved to Nashville a little over a year ago. We love having them around. 

The future is so uncertain but, if I've learned anything this year, it's not to take the present for granted. Enjoy every single second you have with the people you love because you never know if it might be your last. Maybe that's morbid but I'm speaking more of government mandated shut-downs than death. This season has taught me that gratitude and laughter really are the best medicine. 

Blessings,
Lindsy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...