A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Friday, June 22, 2018

The Sinner's Prayer

I was in college when I realized that "The Prayer" wasn't in the Bible. I remember feeling deceived. Offended, even. It seemed wrong that so much of my idea of Christianity was wrapped up in whether or not someone had prayed The Sinner's Prayer.

I havent heard anyone pray the prayer for a very, very long time. I thought that, maybe, it wasn't something we did anymore. Until I joined Daniel at some of the huge Christian music festivals and was surprised to hear many evangelist preachers leading thousands of people in one of the most important prayers one might ever pray in their life. Often it was awkward. Other times, it felt cheap and contrived. Sometimes, it felt powerful.

We pray the prayer to commemorate an action of our hearts. To make an occasion of it. Like taking traditional wedding vows, The Sinner's Prayer is a hymn or a mantra that has been spoken over and over again.


I started reading a children's Bible with my boys every night this week. To my surprise, both boys have loved it. I mean, it really is a wild an exciting story. We've made it through Adam and Eve, Noah, Moses, Joshua and now David. And tonight after a few questions, Liam said, with the most genuine sincerity that he loves God and wants to go to heaven.


What? Okay. 


We haven't even gotten to that part yet, dude. We're just reading about humanity failing over and over and God doing some powerful and really weird stuff. But somehow, he gets it. 


My passionate, loving boy. Tonight you gave your heart to the one true God. 


Welcome to the Kingdom, son.








and, okay, I guess "The Prayer" kind of is in the Bible...

Romans 10:9-10 

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.

And then this song was on when I came downstairs after he fell asleep. 






Who am I that the highest King
Would welcome me?
I was lost but He brought me in
Oh His love for me
Oh His love for me
Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I’m a child of God
Yes I am
Free at last, He has ransomed me
His grace runs deep
While I was a slave to sin
Jesus died for me
Yes He died for me
Who the Son sets free
Oh is free indeed
I’m a child of God
Yes I am
In my Father’s house
There’s a place for me
I’m a child of God
Yes I am
I am chosen
Not forsaken
I am who You say I am
You are for me
Not against me
I am who You say I am


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...