A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Sunday, May 20, 2018

National EMS Week

It's National EMS Week and I have an untold story that is so dear to my heart.

Our boy wants to be a police officer, EMT or fire fighter. He is only 6 but I know he can do it. He loves to help others and has such a tender heart inside of him, to save and to rescue. He is alive today because of EMS workers - and not how you'd think. 

This morning, on the way to school, we were talking about the future. He said he wants to drive an ambulance and rescue people from fires. I talked to him about his "first parents" and how they had to call an ambulance to get to the hospital so he could be born somewhere safe. He was quiet. I asked him what he was thinking and he said he was thinking about saving people from fires. (He does not like to talk about his adoption, so we dont very much). I followed up with some praise about how brave he is and how much he is loved.

You see, our boy's first parents didn't have a car. They lived in a dirty garage. They called an ambulance when she went into labor. There were many, man red flags about the situation but there was no sign (yet) of abuse or neglect. So the nurses, for all I know, did their job to care for birth mom and baby. It was, in fact, the EMTs who called child protective services (CPS) and not the Labor and Delivery nurses. The EMTs called CPS because of the condition of the home. I'm not sure if they went inside to help birth mom get into the ambulance. I'm not sure what they saw or why this house, these people, or this situation stood out from the countless other homes they visited. One of them, an angel, reported that it was dirty and unfit for a newborn baby. This was September in the Pacific Northwest. Not warm, but not yet cold. I'm told they were living in a garage that did not have heating. It was damp and cold when a social worker would drive them there when Liam and his first mother were discharged from the hospital. His first parents had just moved into this place 2 weeks before his arrival.

I am forever indebted to these EMTs. Without them, my son, our little Liam, may not be alive. He could have gone home to freeze or starve in that garage. 

God Bless EMTs. I would be thrilled if our boy chose that career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...