A BLOG BY LINDSY READ

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Mother's Day

It's 6 minutes until midnight. 6 minutes until Mother's Day. My legal, official, real, legit Mother's Day. I picked Liam up in 2012 and we spent the past 2 Mother's days at our favorite restaurant: Asado. I had lobster omelets both times and dream of them fortnightly. 

Tomorrow, Dan will be in Minnesota (approximately) and I won't be eating lobster. I don't expect any flowers, I don't expect Liam to nap, I'm certain I'm not getting any of the spa treatments or gold watches that the media is throwing in our faces. But, I don't need that. I just want a moment to reflect on where I'm at. 2014 has been such a difficult year already. The excitement of moving to a new city has, at times, been overshadowed with financial stress. The joys of finalizing Liam's adoption were overshadowed with legal mumbojumbo and the world's most hasty pack-up-and-leave.  

Someday I'll look at this season and see how strong I was, how I gave up a lot of what was important to me to fulfill this dream that Dan and I had for our life. I'm already remembering how much I cried and that I plead (more than once) with Liam to give me a freaking break because mama just can't handle another tantrum. But my patience, though feeble and weary, paired with God's daily grace and sustenance got us through. Today, nearly 3 months after his adoption and our move, my son said "I like Mama". He kissed me and asked to be held, used his manners and made me laugh the way a friend can. Like, actual laughter at real things. Our relationship is evolving and changing and every once in a while I catch a glimpse of what he'll be like as a man and I know he'll be a good one.

My precious Liam Moses. I am so happy to be your mom. Thanks for being patient with me, sweet boy. 



Happy Mother's Day to all you moms, foster parents, step parents, adoptive parents, mentors, teachers and grandparents. You make the world a better place.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! I miss seeing your faces in person, but I'm thankful for your blog/facebook/instagram so I can at least see pictures all the time! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love feedback and I read every comment and would love to respond to you! If you want to be notified of a response, click that little "notify me" box! xo, Lindsy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...